Mardigian Library
Ask a QuestionMy Library Account
Search Library Catalog - Books, DVDs & More
Limit to available
More Searches
   
Limit results to available items
Find more results:
Search MelCat
More Information
  
Hauser, Michael
20th century retailing in downtown Detroit / Michael Hauser and Marianne Weldon
Alternate Title Twentieth century retailing in downtown Detroit
Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., c2008
book jacket
Location Call Number Status
 Reference/1st Flr  F574.D4 I42 v.31    AVAILABLE
Subject Detroit (Mich.) -- History -- Pictorial works
Subject(s) Central business districts -- Michigan -- Detroit -- Pictorial works
Stores, Retail -- Michigan -- Detroit -- Pictorial works
Physical Description 127 p. : ill. ; 24 cm
Summary "As Detroit developed northward from the riverfront, Woodward Avenue became a mecca for retail, restaurants, and services. The 1870s and 1880s saw many independent merchants open their doors. By 1890, a new type of one-stop shopping had developed: the department store. Detroit's venerable Newcomb Endicott and Company was closely followed by other trailblazers: J.L. Hudson Company, Crowley Milner and Company, and the Ernst Kern Company. At its peak in the 1950s, the Woodward Avenue area boasted over four million square feet of retail, making it one of America's preferred retail destinations"--P. [4] of cover
Series Images of America
Alternate Author Weldon, Marianne

Mardigian Library, 4901 Evergreen Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48128-1491 313-593-5400 fax 313-593-5561
ask-a-question@umd.umich.edu
The Regents of the University of Michigan | Non-Discrimination Policy
Copyright © The University of Michigan - Dearborn • 4901 Evergreen Road • Dearborn, Michigan 48128 • 313-593-5000
The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor | The University of Michigan - Flint | SITEMAP | DIRECTORY | CONTACT